Sunday, October 27, 2013

Still Relevant: Traditional Special Effects

I unfortunately don't have such a gratuitous amount of time to write tonight, so I'm unfortunately going to have to cut my observations a bit short this week. My apologies, but try to enjoy anyway!

I love me some good old fashioned effects, and while it does seem like the movie world is being killed by CG, you'd be surprised to see how much we still rely on pure talent to make some more-than-believeable faces and monsters. 

-Special effects has been a high tech field for quite some time. Sure back in the black and white days we were a bit limited with what we could do, but the second robotics and prosthetics hit, we turned right to them. These advances have become so widely used in effects that it's very rare to find those who go without. 

-Artists still needed. As high quality renderings are easily cranked out by today's computers, we still need artists to get the true touch. Realistic effects require people with an understanding of applying it. Especially in the third dimension. Thus, artists will never go unneeded. 

-Constant expansion. Like said before, special effects have used advanced materials right when they became available, and as the art evolves, there needs to be a feed on what new tech emerges. Technology goes hand in hand with this field, and without it, you get a very lacking end result.

I haven't stated this much myself, but I absolutely love seeing a good application of traditional effects, and especially in horror films. It makes me feel assured that our artists don't have to sit behind a desktop all day and really get to engage in their work.

I think while it does get a good amount of use in today's film, traditional effects do need to be better understood and appreciated by audiences. It takes a massive amount of work for just one movie, and in what many consider a CG dominated environment, I believe a human touch is required to bring the audience closer. 

Facts and opinions settled, there was one mention in the article that caught my eye. We use high definition cameras as a standard now, but the old lover def cameras worked great in older horror movies to aid in the atmosphere. Why don't we try to use them more?

No comments:

Post a Comment